The Stages of Tinnitus

I remember when my tinnitus first started: It was there and it was anoying….but I don´t remember it influencing most of my actions and thoughts. Forgetting that there was a ear ringing during the day was the best part about it. Mostly I noticed it after going out and at night, noticed it….that still means that it did not bother me too much.

Then it got a little louder, I started to notice the peeing more and more. Well, let´s say compared to today it was still nothing, I noticed it more and more at bedtime or when I wanted to read or when I woke up. In stressful situations, when I waasn´t feeling well emotionally or when a problem presented itself I thougt that it got louder, but I could be that I only noticed it more. One of the two, but usually it lasted only for a short momentt when the situation was new, after a short while it went back to normal. Of course it anoyed me, I wished it weren´t there but I didn´t do too much about it, because it was an anoyance you could handle.

Then….it got louder again and again…..and again. My T now is at a point, at which it can´t be ignored. Never. It is so loud that I can´t understand  people when they are talking quietly or when there are too many other noises surrounding me and the person I am talking too. It gets worse when I am with a group and they are all talking to each other….basically I have no chance of understaning what is going on. That is super frustrating. I hear the ringing all the time – at this one volume: loud. Watching TV like a grandma is just one of the perks, not understanding people on the phone another….but there are countless other limitations. I feel like the T has taken over my life and is controling every action, every move I make….I don´t want to do many things anymore and a lot of times I just want to stay home in bed distracting me from that unbearable peeping.

Sometimes I think that I might be at stage 4 already. But I still do have hope…..well, not all the time but mostly I do have hope or lets say I have the willigness to try to live my life as normal as possible. I guess that 4 means you just feel completly hopeless and have lost all motivation. I´m trying really hard to not get there, sometimes I am very depressed….those are phases. I haven´t had a panic attac. Yet?! And I try to live fairly normal. What does normal mean? I guess I still go to work and I meet up with friends. Not as much as I used to because leaving the house isn´t my favorite activity anymore…but I still get myself to do it. So I haven´t given up on life yet and that is the most important part AND that means that I am not at stage 4 yet!

6 Comments

1. Elli

August 16, 2017 at 9:12 am

Liebe Magda,
    es ist so toll, dass du nicht aufgibst. Deine Stärke ist bewundernswert! Ich denk an dich!
    Bussi Elli

1. magda

August 16, 2017 at 7:58 pm

Oh Elli vielen lieben Dank!

2. Christina

August 18, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Hallo, ich befinde mich gerade in der gleichen Situation wie du. Es tut gut zu sehen, dass man nicht alleine ist! Liebe Grüße, Christina

1. magda

August 18, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Hallo Christina,
      danke für deinen Kommentar! Du hast Recht, es tut echt sehr gut zu wissen dass andere sich in der gleichen Situation befinden.
      Dir alles Gute auf deinem Weg und teile gern wenn du etwas gefunden hast was dir hilft!
      Liebe Grüße,
      Magda

3. Lisa

August 28, 2017 at 10:28 am

I just read up to stage 2.
    Are these stages something you established for yourself or is it proofed by scientific research or else?
    My T is also quite new (two months now), but I will refuse to think that it always has to be the way you described in your stages. Thinking “now I’m already in stage 2 and only waiting for it to get worse” – I think this is no good for your mental health either. I try not to read too much about Tinnitus as I have made the experience that the articles etc. – which are scarcely any positive – just make it worse, and I find myself back in the tinnitus spiral you described earlier. So when I want to read about T, I always look out for the positive examples. Of course, I understand that there more negative aspects to write about than positive. Keep your head up and let’s see – maybe we can skip stage 3 & 4 and do stage 2.1 instead :-). I really hope it for all of us.
    Greetings,
    Lisa

1. magda

August 28, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Dear Lisa,
      if reading that kind of stuff brings you down than it was good to stop reading.
      That is information I got from a doctor a while back, I was in his office and cried that I couldn´t handle this any longer and that nobody took me seriously. I felt like it was just in my head and I was going crazy. He pointed out the stages to me and that classification really helped me in a way that I could say, it is real, even though nobody else can hear it. My side effects are real and I use it since then to explain it to others, who don´t know what it is like, to make them understand what I am going through. I am not waiting for it to get worse and I hope nobody does, but for me this classification is helpful.
      But yes, you are totally right! Keep looking out for positive things and not things that bring you down!
      Best,